Friday, October 31, 2008

What a day...

Happy Halloween!

Well, we had an eventful morning... Delaney got up early, even though this was our one morning when she could sleep as long as she wanted (which lately has been almost 9:00!), but, of course she was up by 6:00 today. We got our day started with Delaney have a big breakfast of Cheerios and Wheat toast, started laundry, washed dishes, picked up toys (a constant chore), cleaned up the baby's room, cleaned the cat box (yuck...), took out garbage, swept and mopped the floor, washed the couch cover, got hysterical about Garrett and had to call Greg to come home... This was all BEFORE 7:30! So, back to the Garrett thing. It appears that Garrett James had a Grand Mall Seizure this morning. While I was sweeping, I looked down and his back right leg was kinked up and looked very odd. I leaned over to touch him to see what was wrong and his whole body tensed up. His tail was stuck between his legs on the underneath of his belly, he then fell forward and his body contorted in to a "U" shape, he started to drool a little and his eyes were closed. Needless to say, I was a bit distressed. I called Greg pretty hysterical and being the incredible husband that he is, got in his vehicle and headed for home. I truly didn't know what to do (and it wasn't until this whole ordeal was over that I figured out it was probably a seizure). I thought for sure he was dying and there was nothing I could do about it, except cry like a blubbering idiot and hold him. About 5 minutes later he (and I) settled down and a couple of minutes after that he was trying to give the baby a ball to throw for him. I called Greg and told him not to come home, but I did call the vet. They said because of the expense, they really didn't want us to come in and do bloodwork unless it happens again. They are such wonderful doctors, they know how tight things are for us, and don't unnecessarily charge us for anything. The scary part is, we have no idea how often these happen since I'm not with him during the day, and the more he has, the more damage he can do to his nervous system and brain. The vet asked if his personality has changed at all over the past couple of years, and I promptly replied, "yes". Garrett has ALWAYS been very obedient and the sweetest boy, but over the past few years, his Obsessive nature, and aggression towards dogs and people he doesn't know has really gotten a little disturbing. The Vet said there is a good chance that he has been having these for awhile and there is already some damage.
So, guess we'll just wait and see if it happens again. I remember seeing him (maybe) having a seizure when he was only a year old or so, but I never saw it again, so I can't confirm that's what it was. The vet said if it happens again, to definitely bring him in to have bloodwork to see if he will need anti-seizure medicine.
We have a very busy weekend, so I hopefully if he does it again, we'll be there to see it.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

so sad sorry that the puppy is sick